Adopting an Assumed LLC Name Business Services
- The right to use an assumed name is effective from the date the application is filed by the Secretary of State’s office until the first day of the company's anniversary month in the next year evenly divisible by five. The assumed name may be renewed in five-year periods.
- Domestic and foreign limited liability companies that are in good standing may adopt an assumed name electronically.
- An LLC cannot adopt an assumed name electronically if it is not in good standing; has been terminated or administratively dissolved; has been revoked or withdrawn; has expired; or must execute the adoption through the use of layered signatures or by power of attorney.
- $150 — for each year or part thereof ending in 0 or 5
- $120 — for each year or part thereof ending in 1 or 6
- $90 — for each year or part thereof ending in 2 or 7
- $60 — for each year or part thereof ending in 3 or 8
- $30 — for each year or part thereof ending in 4 or 9
- Payment must be in the form of a credit card — Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express.
Two types of processing service are offered. Non-expedited service will be reviewed within 10 days of submission. Expedited service requests will be reviewed within 24 hours (excluding weekends and holidays). The expedited fee is $50.
For more information, please email the Department of Business Services or call 217-524-8008.