Skip Navigation


Driver's License/State ID Card

Driver's License Application  |  Driver's License Renewal  |  Out-of-State Driver's License Renewal  |  Duplicate/Corrected Driver's License  |  Gender Change  |  Lost/Found/Stolen Driver's License/State ID Card  |  Motorcycle License  |  Social Security Online Verification |  State ID Card  |  Restricted Local Drivers License  |  State ID Card for the Homeless |  Temporary Visitor Driver's License |  Veteran Designation  |  Deceased Notification

Driver's License Application

To obtain an Illinois Driver's License you must:

For Drivers under the age of 21, please see the Graduated Driver's License page.

Driver's License Renewal

The Secretary of State's office mails a renewal letter to driver's license holders 60 to 90 days prior to the expiration of your license. The letter is mailed to the address our office has on file for the driving record. The letter contains the information needed to renew your license. Testing requirements and fees vary depending on the type of license being renewed.

Back to Top

Out-of-State Driver's License Renewal

Members of the U.S. Armed Forces on active duty outside Illinois, as well as their spouses and children, may drive with an expired license for up to 120 days after their return to the state. A Military Deferral Certificate(s) must be carried with your expired Illinois driver's license. Certificates are available at no charge and may be mailed to your out-of-state address. To request a Military Deferral Certificate, mail a copy of your current Illinois driver's license, a copy of the front and back of your Military ID Card and your out-of-state address to:
Secretary of State
License and Medical Review Unit
2701 S. Dirksen Pkwy.
Springfield, IL 62723.

For more information, please call 217-782-2720.

Back to Top

Duplicate/Corrected Driver's License

Back to Top

Gender Change

This office does not require a court order to prove a change of gender. However, such a court order shall be considered as best evidence to process the gender change. A customer who requests a change in file information to reflect a gender change must provide at least one of the following:

Back to Top

Lost/Found/Stolen Driver's License/State ID Card

Back to Top

Motorcycle License

Operation of a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle in the State of Illinois requires a valid license with the proper classification.

For more information, please review the Motorcycle Operator Manual and the Illinois Rules of the Road.

Back to Top

Social Security Online Verification

The Secretary of State's office verifies Social Security numbers with the Social Security Administration prior to issuance or renewal of a driver's license or state ID card to verify name, date of birth and Social Security number. If records cannot be verified, the driver's license or state ID card will not be issued.

Back to Top

State ID Card

Illinois-issued ID cards can help Illinois residents prove identity when banking, traveling, or in other situations. More information about state ID cards is available in the Illinois Rules of the Road.

Back to Top

Restricted Local Drivers License

A Restricted Local License may be issued to qualified drivers who reside in areas with populations of 3,500 or less and who desire to drive only within certain areas, such as to the grocery store, bank or post office. To obtain a Restricted Local License, you must:

Facility personnel will complete a route form and forward it along with the application to the Special License Unit for approval. Upon approval of the application and route form, a facility representative will contact the applicant to make arrangements for the drive exam, which will be administered over the route(s) they wish to travel. Upon successful completion of the drive exam, the test results will be forwarded to the Special License Unit. The applicant will receive his or her Restricted Local License by mail.

Back to Top

State ID for the Homeless

A person qualifies for the no-fee identification card, if he or she is considered homeless as defined by the federal McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act, 42 U.S.C. 11302 or 42 U.S.C. 11434a(2). This card is issued free of charge with the proper documentation to show proof of legal name, date of birth, social security number, and signature. The individual must also bring a completed Homeless Status Certification.

Back to Top

Temporary Visitor Driver's License

The Secretary of State's office issues a Temporary Visitor Driver's License (TVDL) for non-citizens of the United States who have been granted temporary, legal entry into this country and are temporarily residing in the State of Illinois and ineligible for a Social Security number. To be eligible for a TVDL, a foreign national must:

Back to Top

Veteran Designation

To obtain a "Veteran" designation on your Driver's License or State ID card you must:

To find your nearest Illinois Dept. of Veterans' Affairs office or to request a replacement DD-214 or Form 13038, please call 1-800-437-9824 or visit:

Back to Top

Deceased Notification

Upon the death of a card holder, please submit a copy of the certified death certificate along with the Driver's License and/or Identification Card (if available) to:
Secretary of State
Central Services Section
2701 S. Dirksen Pkwy.
Springfield, IL 62723

If you are a relative of the decedent and would like to keep the driver's license, please visit the attending coroner or nearest Driver Services Facility and fill out the Invalidation of a Driver's License or Permit Form. This form is in compliance with Chapter 625, paragraph 5/6-301.3 of the Illinois Compiled Statues. If you have any questions please contact Central Services at 217-785-1424.

Back to Top